Staying safe on Halloween and bonfire night

Parental Choice sought advice from Roma Feldstein at Safe and Sound on staying safe on Halloween and Bonfire nights.

She shared her knowledge and tips on what to look out for when buying costumes for Halloween and what to do in the event of a burn injury, the safe use of sparklers and fireworks and how to create the safest bonfire.

Buying costumes

At the moment there are several safety marks. The CE Mark indicates a product may be legally offered for sale in any country within the European Union. EN 71 is the European standard specification for toys – and children’s fancy dress costumes also come under this category.

Bonfire night

Recent figures show that in the four weeks around bonfire night around 1,000 people per year are treated in hospital casualty departments because of an accident with a firework. Not surprisingly more boys than girls were injured.

Where do most firework accidents happen?

Apparently over 40 per cent of all accidents occur at a family or private party and a further 30 per cent in the street or other public place with only around 10 per cent happening at large public displays. Rockets cause more accidents than any other type of firework but even the common sparkler can cause accidents particularly with young children. Nearly one in ten firework accidents were with sparklers. They are HOT, super-hot and they remain one of the most dangerous fireworks in terms of accident statistics simply because they are taken for granted. Think about it – a metal rod with a thin coating of pyrotechnic compound which heats up to several hundred degrees Celsius!

  • Cool the burn with cold running water for at least ten minutes to stop the burning and relieve the pain. If cold water is not available, use another cold, harmless liquid such as milk.
  • Get medical help for any burn or scald which is larger than a 50p coin.
  • Remember to keep calm and give lots of comfort and reassurance to the child.
  • DO NOT remove burnt clothing which has stuck to the skin. Burnt clothing is sterile and will protect the wound.
  • Remove carefully any jewellery, belts, restrictive clothing or footwear (that is not stuck to the skin) from the injured area before it begins to swell.
  • Cover the burn with a clean, dry, non-fluffy dressing and secure loosely. A plastic bag or piece of cling film is ideal.
  • DO NOT put butter, oil or any sort of grease or lotion on a burn or scald – these can cause further damage and increase the risk of infection.
  • DO NOT apply sticking plasters or any other type of adhesive dressing to the skin – they will cause pain and damage when removed.
  • DO NOT break blisters – you may introduce infection into the wound
  • DO NOT give the child anything to eat or drink, with the exception of painkillers.
  • Give the recommended dose of children’s painkiller syrup.
  • If clothing catches fire, get the person to stop, drop to the floor and roll them in a heavy material, such as a curtain.
  • Seek medical advice.


  • Not for children under the age of 5
  • Do not hold a baby or child in your arms if you are holding a sparkler
  • Supervise young children very carefully
  • Sparklers should be held at arm’s length and should not be waved at other people nor should a child run while holding a sparkler
  • Children should wear gloves when holding sparklers
  • Do not wear loose fitting clothing which may catch light easily
  • Sparklers can stay hot for a while after they have gone out so put them into a bucket of water or sand or into the soil
  • Teach your children to drop sparklers to the ground as soon as they are finished or if your child becomes scared
  • Buy fireworks from a legitimate retailer and make sure they have the BS7114 number on them.
  • Be aware of elderly neighbours or those with young children. Some people can be frightened by fireworks.
  • Not all fireworks are suitable for small gardens.
  • Check instructions in the daylight carefully.
    Designate one person to be in charge of the fireworks and make sure everybody else stands behind a line.
  • Light fireworks at arm’s length with a taper.
  • Don’t go back to a lit firework.
  • Don’t put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
  • Keep fireworks in a metal box with the lid closed in-between use.
  • Keep pets indoors.

Bonfires should be at least 18 metres (60 feet) from the house, trees, hedges and garden sheds

Don’t use petrol paraffin or other flammable liquids, use a domestic firelighter instead


Nothing in this site should be construed as personal advice or diagnosis, and must not be used in this manner. The information provided about conditions is general in nature. This information does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side-effects, or interactions of medicines, or medical procedures. The information in this site should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment.

About Safe and Sound

Safe and Sound is a leading provider of paediatric first aid across the UK and beyond.  They offer a range of face to face and online courses covering everything from minor bumps and bashes to the most serious first aid emergencies.

Courses are available in your home or workplace or at their central London venue.

For further details please go to

You can get a 10% discount if you mention Parental Choice when you book!


© Working Life Solutions | Website by WebWorks Design

Registered in England & Wales company No. 07656195